One of the best things about San Antonio is that there are always fun annual events to look forward to. If you’re looking for something to do on a given weekend, chances are there will be some sort of event (or multiple!) taking place. The city has everything from food fests, film fests, music fests – if you can think it up then it’s probably already been done here in SA! Check out our list of the most popular Annual Events below and mark your calendars!
1) Wurstfest – Held every November at Beethoven Maennerchor Halle at 501 West Magnolia Ave., Wurstfest brings together German culture with good music, dancing, delicious sausage and all the beer you can drink.
2) Oyster Bake – Another fall favorite, the Oyster Bake is held at St. Mary’s University on the grounds of one of San Antonio’s oldest churches – Mission Concepcion on 801 E. Sonterra Blvd. There are plenty of oysters to go around plus live music, games and booths with crafts, food and more! Held in early October annually.
3) Luminaria – This free arts festival takes place every year in March or April outside the Southwest School of Art. Attendees come out to enjoy live music while seeing all kinds of art made by local artists for sale – paintings, photography, sculptures and much more!
4) Fiesta San Antonio – This ten day event takes place at the end of April and beginning of May at multiple locations around San Antonio including the River Walk, Municipal Auditorium and La Villita. Fiesta San Antonio is full to the brim with fun – from food and beer fests to cultural celebrations and carnival rides!
5) Tower Palooza – This free festival takes place every August and offers all kinds of activities for kids, live entertainment at multiple stages, fine art exhibits in all mediums, shopping opportunities selling crafts, jewelry, art etc… There are even cooking demonstrations by award winning chefs! If you’re looking for a good time for free then Tower Palooza has it!
6) Saint Patrick’s Day Parade & Festival – Celebrating Ireland patron saint happens every March 17th downtown. The parade route is from Navarro to Market St. and the festival lasts all week with a market, food, beer and plenty of events at Arneson River Theater.
7) San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo – If you’re into rodeos then this event is for you! Held at AT&T Center every February, the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo has been providing family entertainment since 1950. In addition to bull riding there are also tons of carnival games and rides as well as educational exhibits with animals from all over the world!
8) Fiesta Noche del Rio – Can’t make it to New Orleans? We’ve got a great Cajun party here in SA called Fiesta Noche del Rio held every September at Arneson River Theater downtown. This festival prides itself on having some of the best Cajun and zydeco music around. Check it out and get your groove on!
9) Alamo Heights Night – If you’re looking to explore a different part of town then head up north to the charming town of Alamo Heights for its annual night market full of local musicians, artisans, artists and street food vendors. Held every Friday evening in May just south of Broadway St., this is a great way to spend an evening with friends or family while checking out all that this neighborhood has to offer!
10) Poteet Strawberry Festival – Just outside San Antonio in the charming little city of Poteet is the annual Poteet Strawberry Festival happening every April. This family friendly event includes food, music, parades and a whole lot of strawberry treats. Be sure to stop by and try some!
11) Oyster Bake – Held on the grounds of historic Mission Concepcion right in downtown San Antonio, Oyster Bake offers live entertainment weekly with plenty of booths selling all kinds of crafts and art including jewelry, paintings, pottery etc… Held every October at 801 E. Sonterra Blvd., this is a great evening full of food and fun for everyone!
12) Maverick Music Festival – If you’re into country music then check out the Maverick Music Festival held annually in April at La Villita. There are multiple stages with live performances all weekend long.
13) Texas Folklife Festival – This free festival is held annually at Institute of Texan Cultures every June and offers amazing food booths (including plenty of fried goodies!) as well as art, crafts, music and dance performances from San Antonio’s very own Hispanic community.
14) GO! Fest Latino – This free celebration of Latin street food and music happens every August on Broadway between Rivercenter Mall and Nueva St., just a few blocks up from the River Walk. Artisan vendors set up shop selling their handmade wares while non stop entertainment takes place on several stages throughout the evening. A great opportunity to explore downtown without spending a penny!15) Rockport Birding Festival – If you’re a bird lover then the Rockport Birding Festival is for you! Held annually at Rockport Harbor every May, this festival offers all kinds of activities from boat tours to workshops and educational exhibits.
16) PlayFest – Children’s Museum of SA presents interactive performances and arts & crafts for kids every September at Woodlawn Lake Park. This free event also includes food booths as well as plenty of open play time for your little ones to run around and have fun outside!
17) Big Red Bus Pub Crawl – Ditch the other overpriced bar crawls that charge a fee just to use a shuttle bus leaving bars full of obnoxious drunk people late into the night… On the Big Red Bus tour, you’ll get on and off the bus as you see fit, drinking at your own pace all while exploring San Antonio on a comfy speedboat of a bus. All these stops mean more money in your pocket for booze! This is definitely one of the best deals in town and probably the most fun you’ll have on four wheels… Let’s just say we don’t recommend it for pregnant women or anyone with heart problems.
18) Oktoberfest – One of our favorite things about living here in SA is that we get to celebrate both American and German traditions without having to travel too far from home. The annual Oktoberfest takes place every October at The Witte Museum with food booths offering all kinds of delicious treats such as bratwurst, German potato salad, sauerkraut balls and our personal favorite… the strudel! The event also features live music, dancers, children’s crafts and more.
19) San Fernando Cathedral Arts & Crafts Fair – This annual event at the San Fernando Cathedral on Main Plaza takes place every December with booths set up selling all kinds of festive holiday gifts such as ornaments, wreathes, collectible Santas etc. While you’re checking out the various vendors be sure to stop in for a free tour of the historic church!
20) Fiesta Noche del Rio – This lively annual event takes place right on the River Walk offering non-stop entertainment including jazz bands playing classic Mexican mariachi music. A must-attend for anyone looking to experience the best of what San Antonio has to offer!21) Fiesta Oyster Bake – This free two day event is held annually at St. Mary’s University every April with music, food booths and carnival rides galore!
22) Jazz’SAlive – Jazz music lovers can enjoy this annual free concert series taking place in August on the banks of the San Antonio River at Hemisfair Park. You’ll also find plenty of food booths serving up tasty treats along with arts & crafts vendors selling unique handmade souvenirs.
23) Arts in the Square – Enjoy the beauty of all kinds of art under the shade trees in La Villita every September at this outdoor event featuring live entertainment, food booths, artisan booths and children’s activities. This is an excellent opportunity to check out some of the local talent here in SA while soaking up the mild San Antonio weather.
24) Blue Star Arts Complex Art Walks – Three times a year, artists from all over converge on this Southtown complex offering everything from photography, painting, sculpture and other forms of one-of-a-kind art. You can stop by any time during their open studio hours or wait for the next scheduled tour… Just be sure to get there early because these tours are known for being extremely popular!25) Christmas at The Pearl – Every December, The Pearl hosts this free event that features live music both inside and out along with holiday filling the grounds outside including a petting zoo, pony rides and tons of special photo opportunities!
26) Ballet Flamenco International – This is a free monthly performance held right here in SA. The show consists of a collection of various themed pieces from all over the world featuring some stunning talent from beginners to professional dancers.